Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Happy Father's Day

I know I'm a little late, but I just couldn't let the day go by without a little shout-out to all the great fathers out there. A few of my favorite father photographs from the year:











And, just to melt your heart, a few words straight out of the mouths of babes. This is an excerpt from a larger project I did with this beautiful family. (To view, make sure the sound on your computer is on, then push the play button at left)



And last, but not least, a shout out to my own dad. He means the world to me. I love you, Dad.

addendum, 6.25: Thanks so much to one of my wonderful blog readers, who noted: "Hey, not fair! You only have Dads with babies. Fathers are fathers for life!"

Point taken! I've gotten to work with so many wonderful fathers of all ages. So, just a few more photos, to better represent the full story.



The father (at left) in this photograph is extraordinary. So extraordinary, that I devoted a year to documenting his life story, then turning it into a movie and a book. So extraordinary that his youngest son (center), who was 19 when I interviewed him, described his dad this way: "He's honestly the most intelligent person I've ever met. . . He's, like, the hippest dad. I really love hanging out with my dad."


A portrait of the same family, circa 1990 (no, I didn't take this one)



And here's yet another exceptional father who, at 92, is also a grandfather, and a great-grandfather. I spent a magical weekend with him and his family last summer gathering loads of colorful stories about the years when his three daughters were little, then turning them into a movie. 


A portrait of the same dad with his three girls (two of whom are in the top photo) circa 1955 (I didn't take this one either)

In just a couple weeks, this father/grandfather/great-grandfather turns 93!  Still completely lucid and a continuous example of kindness and generosity. 

Three cheers for all the wonderful fathers out there - and also to my blog readers, who remind me what's important if I ever forget :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie,
Your blog gives me the chills as it truly depicts life stories in the best ways.

michelle said...

As a fellow journaler, I do re-read my own little novels - sometimes > familiar, sometimes strange, as I try to recall myself in each > emotion, experience, thought. Really? I felt like that? It is > incredible to see how we change and how we don't. To think if I had > photos accompanying those entries...visual maps of my life's > twists, turns and inner and outer explorations. It may help when > my handwriting is really bad! Thank you for writing about this - > and sharing a bit of insight into all of us.> I also must admit to being a narcissist when it comes to childhood > photos of my brother and I. Thank goodness my parents were > shutterbugs - to think all that cuteness and expressiveness may have > been lost! (ha ha).

Post a Comment

Post a Comment